Saturday, August 22, 2026

Blockheads


C.R.S. § 18-9-107 (Obstructing a Highway or Other Passageway): Makes it an offense to intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly block a place used for the passage of persons, vehicles, or conveyances, rendering passage unreasonably inconvenient or hazardous.

 Yesterday I encountered an elderly male hiker on the trail while ascending. He was surprised that I had yielded the trail to him and stated that it was the first time this Summer that anyone astride a cycle had yielded the trail to him, including the one person on a bicycle and another riding illegally upon the trail with their ecycle (Poachers, a subject for another day) who I saw toodling down the trail before stopping for the hiker. While chatting with the hiker, I noticed a fresh scrape on his noggin and asked if he was alright or needed any assistance. He said he was okay and would be good in getting back to the trailhead. Then I asked how that had happened.

 Apparently the person on the bicycle was experiencing a  mechanical issue, effectively blocking the trail while attending to it. They had noticed the hiker approaching, yet failed to render the trail to the hiker. As the hiker left the trail bed to go around, he stumbled on the terrain and fell, injuring himself. He picked himself and his hiking staff back up and continued on, without any words or actions from the errant bicyclist. I'm not sure what kind of home training the bicyclist had as a child, but it was either severely lacking or they are a perennial dim-bulb. In the civilized world, one offers and/or renders assistance to injured parties. The lack of social ethics displayed by that cretinous individual should be astounding to me, but it's not.

 Before parting ways, I asked the hiker once again if they would like any help. They politely declined and added, "Well it was my fault that I stumbled and fell." to which I replied that it was not their fault and in fact the person blocking the trail was doing so contrary to state law. This incident is *why* there is a law against blocking a public passageway. To think that common sense and courtesy in an instance such as this must be made law makes the whole occurrence unsurprising.

Riders Come and Go, Kooks Accumulate

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blockheads

C.R.S. § 18-9-107 (Obstructing a Highway or Other Passageway): Makes it an offense to intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly b...